How to Cancel a MA Registration

To Cancel your Registration:

Turn in your old plates to the nearest full service RMV branch office.

You will receive two plate return receipts. One is for your insurance company and one should be kept for your own records.

If you are unable to go to the RMV in person, you may click here.

You need to provide the Assessor's Office from your town with a copy of your plate return receipt/registration cancellation receipt and documentation on the whereabouts of your vehicle so they can process any excise tax adjustment that may be due.  You are not entitled to an abatement if you (1) cancel your registration and retain ownership of the vehicle, or (2) move to another MA city or town during the same calendar year.